1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

:confused:Power Supply Issue:confused:

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by IYIaster, Dec 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. IYIaster

IYIaster Thread Starter

OK, My Grandmothers house was hit by electricity a couple of weeks ago. It blew out her phones and her computer will not turn on. I have not tried turning the computer on myself this is just what I was told. The strange thing to me is the computer was plugged into a surge protected with the monitor and other things. The monitor still works the surge protector still works and everything else that was plugged into the surge protector still works. The only thing that does not work is the computer. Isn't that strange? The electricity would have blown out anything pluged into the surge protected and would have tried the surge protector? RIGHT? Now I don't know if the whole computer will no longer work. Does it sound like it could just be the power supply? How does a computer act after getting hit by electricity? This computer will not do anything! You push the power button and nothing happens. Does anyone have any ideas? Is the computer fried? Is there anyway to fix it? Thanks for the help...

2. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

PCs, well really any electronic is fickle. Most surge protectors don't really do a great job, a better bet is a UPS.

As for what you can do? I would say bring it to a repair shop, unless you have the skill to try to fix it your self, the PSU could have blown, or the motherboard, or any number of things.

3. dobbelina

dobbelina

Blown power supply, definitively.
    Get it replaced.

4. GrandPops

GrandPops

Is the system connected to the internet through a dialup modem? I have seen systems that took surges bad enough that you can see a burned spot on the modem. Pull the modem and the system works just fine.
    If your Grandmother uses dialup try removing the modem and then try turning the system on.
    If she is connected through DSL or cable then yes, try a different power supply.

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Actually I have lost a couple computers to power surges. Connected through quality Surge protectors even, When a Power supply goes it can and often does take other parts with it. Such as Motherboards and hard drives. You dont say what type or make system this is, Dells in my opinion are teh worst of the lot when it comes to power surges. The do not have a power switch on the Power supply and can be activated anytime there is a power problem in the house. If there were a dip in the current flow prior ot the Surge, the power supply could have turned itself on there by passing any power problems to the rest of the computer.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/428008

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice