1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Confused With a Hard Disk

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by theo, Jun 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. theo

theo Thread Starter

I have a Western Digital Hard disk, when I am trying to install in the, ELONEX Prosendia, PC. I get the following:
    Intel(r) Pentium(R) Processor, 1.50 GHZ
    Checking NVRAM..NO NVRAM
    Auto-Detecting Pri Master..IDE Hard Disk
    Auto-Detecting Pri Slave..Not Detected
    Auto-Detecting Sec Master..ATAPI CDROM
    Auto-Detecting Sec Slave..ATAPI CDROM
    Pri Master: 17.07w17 WDC WD1200BB00cAA1
    Ultra DMA mode-5, S.M.A.R.T Capable and status OK
    Sec Master:1.20 PHILIP PC DRWDVD210
    Sec Slave: P1.7 PHLIPS DVDR885P
    After that message, I get repeating endless,all the choices like..... SAFE MODE,LAST GOOD CONFIGURATION, e.t.c
    But the same Western Digital Hard disk,when I conect it in another older pc(Dell OptiPlex,GXa),there is no problem

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It sounds like you are moving a hard drive with an already installed copy of Windows XP from one computer to another. That rarely ever works because the two systems are not identical or a like. If you really need to retain everything on the hard drive then you will have to perform a Repair installation of Windows XP to make it work. Or if you don't have to retain anything except the data then I would strongly recommend that you backup any important data and reformat and reinstall Windows as that will work the best.

3. theo

theo Thread Starter

I made a clone hard disk from the Dell old pc and the Western Digital Hard Disk has used to clone my old hard drive,and I thought that it was simple.so now you mean that i had to
    to perform a Repair installation of Windows XP to Western Digital?
    Thank you

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    So the copy of Windows is originally from the Dell? That won't work, nor is it legal. You need to install a new copy of Windows on the new computer.

5. theo

theo Thread Starter

so,shall i install a new copy of windows with another hard disk and after that installation, i will disconect this hard disk ,and then install the Western Digital hard disk ,the one with the cloned copy from dell?? or if there is any softwear that can do all this task automatically!!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR PATIENCE!!!!

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What exactly are you trying to accomplish when this is all said and done?

Why not just install Windows onto the WD drive?

Some info, each computer needs to have its own copy of Windows. Moving an existing installation from one computer to another is problematic even if its made to work.

7. theo

theo Thread Starter

What i am trying to accomplish is to clone the old DELL to WD hard disk and then install WD to ELONEX prosentia pc
    THANK YOU Triple6!!

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Not going to work without you having to do a Repair install or possibly even a fresh install. I'd recommend the format and fresh install, then bring over any data you need from the old one to the new one.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/723993

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice