1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Confused??

Discussion in 'Networking' started by cailtin2r1, Feb 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cailtin2r1

cailtin2r1 Thread Starter

This is my first time asking a question and I hope I'm doing it right, regardless here I go. I found this question which is so close to the problem I'm having so I tried the suggestions including with a little tweaking to make it work for me specifically but without success. My problem is changing my password for my wireless connection in order to stop every Tom Dick and Harry in the building where I live from using it. As it is I have one neighbor who basically lives here so she can play her games.
    What I originally did before trying the suggestions was simply entered in the address bar the IP address 192.168.1.1 and/or 192.168.1 at the suggestion of my cable company who will not help me beyond this point (although today I noticed they may have changed it to 192.168.1.102 when my cursor hoovers over the connection icon on my task bar. Regardless the same thing happens like when I clicked on the suggestion, they can not find the page. My wireless is through Charter Cable Communications and I own my wireless router which is a Linksys WRT54G2, I did once before try to find the answers in the on line manual but they did not cover this specific topic. I'm at a lost as to how to do this. Any and all help will be greatly and forever appreciated.

P.S. Can you tell me why my neighbor can "borrow" the wireless connection on her laptop with the neighbor who lives directly down the hall from her and past me, (my apt. is across the hall from both) but she can not use mine in her apartment?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I started your own thread for you here, as it is far too confusing to help multiple people with different (even if similar) problems in one thread.

Login to the router, navigate to the wireless section and set the Encryption (or Security) Mode to WPA2-PSK AES or WPA-PSK TKIP depending on what the router and your devices can support. Consult the user guide, on CD or on the Linksys web site, for specifics.

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    To add to this: if your router has the ability, you can set WPA/WPA2 and AES/TKIP and the computer will get the maximum security it can connect to.

4. bill222

bill222

To answer your "P.S." question: The weak radio signals used for a WIFI network can be affected or blocked by many different things in building walls... pipes, wiring, metal lath under the plaster, and so on. So it is hard to predict where you will get coverage in an apartment building, and not too surprising that your friend might be able to access a router a little farther away while still having trouble with yours. Sometimes moving your router a few feet can make a difference, you would just have to experiment to see if you can find a positioning that works.

It is not clear from your post whether you ever got connected to the router administration functions with your browser. What happens when you try to connect to 192.168.1.1? Is that what you were talking about when you said "they" cannot find the page?

Where did you see the 192.168.1.102 address that you mentioned? That is probably the address of your computer. In the same place you saw that, you should be able to see a "default gateway address". That is the address of your router, which we were guessing to be 192.168.1.1, but if it shows something different for a gateway, use that instead.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1091215

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice