1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

confused

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by fric, Jan 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fric

fric Thread Starter

Problem started with loss of second hard drive, not appearing in 'my Computer' Only way to re-establish was to 'Restore'. Later ran Scans for McAfee, Spyware Doctor, ID Patrol, Reg Patrol and C Cleaner. Disconnected from power and drive E disappeared again - 'Restore' now failed and had to use Safe Mode to finally revived second drive. Since then PC has been very slow, Firefox 4 Beta dropped out (able to load and search but could not select item from search results), and having uninstalled I now cannot re-install either Beta or version 3.6. Using I/E but it's very slow and Task Manager reveals Mcshield.exe is taking huge lump of CPU with able assistance from various svchost and something called wuauclt.exe.
    Now losing the will to live. I know the machine is almost steam powered but it has been a real soldier with few problems and none that I've not been able to resolve. This time I'm close to launching it out of the window. Help anyone - I'm not proud!!:eek:

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Is "Sleep" or "Hibernation" being used on this machine?
    If so turn them OFF and see if your problem goes away.

3. fric

fric Thread Starter

No these are never used -- but I might try a bit of it myself!!! Thanks for taking the time to respond - much appreciated.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973811

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice