Confusing wireless relatd security issue

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Viper

Hi there,

I have an ADSL 1mb broadband connection which works fine. I use a Speedtouch 330 ADSL modem and have the free version of Zonealarm installed on my WinXp Home SP2 laptop. The free version of Zonealarm is set to work on Stealth mode.

A test on GRC.com (https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2) probing all ports with this setup reports that all ports are "invisible"....i.e. in "stealth" mode.

Now, using GPRS on my mobile-phone, bluetooth and my laptop, a similar test on GRC.com to probe all ports reports that the ports are being detected but are closed. Hmmm...

Yesterday I bought a 3 Com OfficeConnect 11g ADSL Firewall Router. I have set this up and it works fine. I have enabled the inbuilt firewall with protects against 'Ping of Death' and DoS attacks. I have also enable WPA encryption. In addition to this, I also have my Zonealarm firewall.

However, using the wireless setup, a test on grc.com shows that all ports are visible but closed! Argh! :mad: :confused: MOreover, using the same route but having it wired to my laptop using ethernet cable produces the same results!! :confused:

Help! Why is this happening?

I do not understand why it is completely secure when using my wired SPeedtouch modem but not with this new router and when using Bluetooth and GPRS.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Viper

re-ghosted machine to many months ago.... ADSL wired modem works fine and passes all security checks.

tried my cousin's identical wireless router with my laptop and i pass all security checks.

try my own wireless router and don't pass security checks.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online