1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connect 2 computers.....LAN ?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by vladmosiac, Jun 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vladmosiac

vladmosiac Thread Starter

I have a pc n a laptop that I wish to connect so that I can share net connection.

I already have networking (just a simple wire connected to both) to transfer data, but that way I cant share the net. What are the things needed to do that, I dont have much idea about this. I am thinking of buying a LAN card, do I need to buy something more too ?

Thx in advance!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you can't, or are determined to not, use a router you will need an internet connection on one computer; a connection between the two computers via ethernet or wireless or maybe something else; then enable Internet Connection Sharing on the internet connection.

What you will need to get depends on what you have now, your internet connection, and how you want to connect the computers.

3. vladmosiac

I have net connection on pc, just need to connect so the NET can be shared b/w the pc and the laptop. I just need to share the net connection b/w these 2, not sure if that would be done via a lan card or router.

Couldnt get what you mean by this
    "If you can't, or are determined to not,"

do you mean to buy a lan card ?

yes I can, just want to be sure if thats the method to share net connections, cuz I have never done this before.

Gourav.

4. pedroguy

pedroguy

I think Terrynet's recommendation is to buy a wired/wireless router.This is the customary method of sharing a network connection and is a pretty easy install.

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

What kind of wire is connecting the two computers now?

6. vladmosiac

A simple wire, connected to the port where the wire of the broadband connection is put. With that I can share files of the PC, but since it is connected in the place of the net connection wire, cant put up the net wire. Maybe buy a LAN card and then connect the 2 computers, and then place the net wire in its place. Dont know if thats the solution.

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I don't know what you mean by "simple wire". Is a USB cable? An ethernet cable (looks like a fat phone cord)? If it's an ethernet cable, you already have a LAN card (called a network adapter) in both computers, and you only need to purchase a router and a couple of standard CAT5 network cables.

8. vladmosiac

no its not a USB. a simple white wire with both ends having a plastic type thing to connect to the comp's (similar to those in telephone wires).

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

It sounds like they're connected with an ethernet cable. You would not need to purchase any cards for the computer then because they already have network adapters. You just need a router and standard CAT5 cables.

10. vladmosiac

I found it, they are cat5-e networking cables which connects the 2 comp's for data transfer. So now I only need to purchase a router ? or lan card too?

11. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You already have "LAN cards" in both computers. You do not need to buy any more LAN cards. You only need a router.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/588680

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice