1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connect 2 computers through USB cable

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ashras99, Jan 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ashras99

ashras99 Thread Starter

I have a desktop computer, laptop , DSL connection and 1 lan card in a desktop which uses by DSL connection. Please tell me how to connect the laptop to the desktop so that i can transfer files between both the computers...is this possible by USB cable. Please solve my problem. In both the system Windows XP Pro SP2 is isntalled.

2. RedHelix

RedHelix

You can't connect two computers through a USB cable and transfer files. If you're network-savvy, you can transfer your data across the network between the two computers by either using your router or picking up a cat5e crossover cable. Alternatively, you could try emailing attachments to yourself or even think about investing in an external hard drive or pen drive.

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

4. PCG342

PCG342 Banned

Or you could get a USB network adapter. A lil' pricey, but otherwise... they work well...

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Its not just the wattage overall, but what can be supplied by each voltage rail.

The 250 watts may be enough overall, but the rail that supplies the CPU may not be rated high enough and is failing to settle in the required voltage range.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Of course, since most computers nowadays have Ethernet ports, a $5 crossover cable will do the job...

7. ashras99

ashras99 Thread Starter

Guys I have a crossover cable and connected like this when i have dialup, now i have DSL connection which takes by ethernet port...so i am thinking what i can do...

Btw, i connected 2 computers through USB cable and working absolutely fine but transfering of big files taking lot of time. I transferred 2 GB file and it takes more then 1 hour to transfer and when i connected to ethernet then it takes only 6-7 minutes.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

USB ports are not designed to be directly connected, and a real possibility exists of damaging the ports on one or both systems by directly connecting them. I'm somewhat surprised that a direct connection works at all, I've never had the guts to try it. :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/432579

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice