1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connect 2 routers same network

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Woodsmith, Nov 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Woodsmith

Woodsmith Thread Starter

I have an old router I would like to connect in my garage on the same network connected via coaxial connection in the wall. How and what do I need to program in to my old router?

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Are you sure you're using the right terminology? Coaxial is those 1 core round cable that is used by TV's. I don't think your router has a coax connection. Or are you calling a modem your router? A cable modem would have a coax connection

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  3. Woodsmith

Woodsmith Thread Starter

It sure does. It's connected by coaxial from the wall. I get both WiFi and Ethernet off of it. The model for both is Arris dg3270.

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

Just looked it up. You don't have to configure anything especially.

5. Woodsmith

Woodsmith Thread Starter

What do I do then? I have them connected with Ethernet now but don't want the wire going through my halls and doors. I had to change router settings on one of them to bridge them. Can I just attach to coaxial wall connection and its good to go then?

6. lunarlander

lunarlander

I thought this router in your garage is a 2nd one in addition to another one already in the house ?

7. Woodsmith

Woodsmith Thread Starter

It is, but the Ethernet cord is be is running out my office door down the around kitchen door finally out through garage door. Not sure why that's important.

8. Woodsmith

Woodsmith Thread Starter

But I have cable connection in every room which is why I'm asking how to connect to my cable

9. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    The cable in all the rooms is for tv. You could connect a modem to every one BUT you won't get internet access on any but one coax plug.

Unless you specifically pay for 2 internet connections, you get 1 modem or gateway with an internet signal and an IP assigned by the cable company to the unit. (They know the MAC address of the hardware you are using).

Your Arris units are gateways (modem and router combos). That's what the g stands for in dg. Your ISP will not assign an IP to 2 gateways unless you pay for two internet accounts.

Two choices: run ethernet or buy a wireless access point or range extender.
    https://www.linksys.com/us/r/resource-center/what-is-a-wifi-access-point/

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1219423

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice