1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Connect Actv. DisplayPort adap. to HDMI in TV. Del Optiplex

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TarquinThyroid, May 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TarquinThyroid

TarquinThyroid Thread Starter

Hello,

I have taken advice and got a actv. display port to HDMI adapter. I've plugged the HDMI cable into TV. What happens is the desktop screen appears on TV but not exactly as it does on VDU at the same time- some icons (Google Earth etc) which are on the screen rather than small icons in bottom bar are not there. And then nothing else happens: no google home page or anything- just the desktop. When I turn off computer the desktop on TV goes away, so some signal is getting through.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    If this is related to you earlier post, Windows 8.1 I have Dell Optiplex 780. How to connect to HDTV?, do you have Windows configured to Extend or Mirror to the TV? Extending adds more working area to the primary display's desktop and does not duplicate the bottom task bar. Mirroring duplicates the desktop from the primary display to the secondary. In either case, you need to set the Windows display properties control panel settings for the second dislay to match the resolution of the TV.

3. TarquinThyroid

Thanks
    How do I do this? If it's not too much trouble please tell me step by step how to do what you say.

4. TarquinThyroid

I managed to find the appropriate settings. it said "Duplicate" rather than mirror but I selected that and it worked. Thanks very much.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1189594

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice