1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connect all PC via LAN for backup purposes

Discussion in 'Networking' started by reeflobang, Apr 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reeflobang

reeflobang Thread Starter

Hi all

Many thanks in anticipation for your contribution. My current set up:

- 3Com ADSL/Router/Wifi + 3Com 24 Port Switch connect to a 1.5 Mps ADSL line.
    - 10 PCs with half running Windows XP and the other half Vista Basic that are connected by LAN cable to the 3Com Switch.
    - HP AIO Laser Printer networked to support the 10 PCs.

Is it possible to set up PC Sharing such that I am able to access data (entire HDD ideally) from all the PCs via one of the connected PCs? My main priorities for backup are:

1. Contact data inside each of the PC's MS Outlook
    2. Email data indside each of the PC's MS Outlook
    3. My Document Folder of each of the PC

I am thinking if I can access all the above PC / Data via just one PC, I can simply copy and paste the individual PC data onto a USB HDD for safekeeping.

Is the above possible and how can it be done. Alternative solutions are appreciated as well! Thanks!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Personally, I'd consider something like a NAS hard disk, the one I really like right now is the D-Link NAS-323. You can install two drives in this in a RAID-1 array to protect against the hardware failure of any one drive. This NAS has really good performance and actually utilizes the gigabit Ethernet (if you have it), far better than most inexpensive NAS boxes. You can size the two disks you put into the enclosure depending on your present and future backup needs.

You can use an automated backup for the data which will be more reliable and less labor intensive than manually backing up each machine. Personally, for backing up data files, I like Cobian Backup, which is free and offers scheduling and unattended operation. There are MANY other backup solutions as well.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703968

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice