Connect and disconnect using NET USE

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Bitz

Use to be comfortable using NEW USE to connect and disconnect my two computers until purchase of new Dell 546.
LAN hard wired behind a Actiontec M1424WR. Two computers, a Dell 546 running Vista Home Premium 64 bit with the MS Firewall active and a Dell 8300 running Windows Home Premium and Comodo firewall. I can communicate both ways using Run URL address or better yet Map using Explorer where all my partitions are visible to select. On the Vista computer Network Discovery has been turned on along with all sharing except password Protected Sharing. On the XP file sharing permitted and use to work fine with my old 8100. Both Workgroups are named MSHOME.
So what's my problem, I cannot automate using NET USE x: \\computer name\partition password from either machine. Turning off both Firewalls does not change any of the above.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Have you tried mapping the drive from My Computer in the Tools Menu? You can make a persistent mapping there.

Bitz

JohnWill - that (Computer | Tools) brings up the same menu that I mentioned using Explorer and yes I can Map and if check "Reconnect on Logon" that also works fine. My problem is I cannot do the same from the Command prompt using NET USE x: \\dell8300\C password. I get the error "The network name cannot be found" which is sort of surprising since Explorer's Tools can find and display and Map.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Hmm... Works here, don't know what's going on there.

Bitz

Sorry to hear that - hoped there was a simple explanation. Problem gets messier because I have the same problem over on my XP-Home computer. Again no problem mapping using Explorer but get the same error message. I had been using a batch files for years to map an old 8100 with the 8300. I did reinstall XP-Home on the 8300 and the Dell 546, running Vista, is new, so cannot really say it ever worked on these two machines but it obviously works on your and the rest of the world - why me<g>. I can ping the 8300, run \\192.168.1.2 ie will display the entire hard drive (all partitions), map with IE but simply get no where with cmd's NET USE. Any other checks you can think off that might provide a clue?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I'm thinking... I'm thinking..., but nothing's happening. :)

Bitz

Hay, if something "comes" let me know, but don't self destruct. A brain can be damaged by overwork. I can get along by having them persist mapping through Explorer. This new computer is so fast the old argument of ridding your Registry of the maps to speed the boot no longer applies - but I liked being in total control though.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts