1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connect Epson Printer to Acer Laptop?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tuppence2, Mar 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tuppence2

Tuppence2 Thread Starter

Hello.

I've an Epson Stylus Color 680 printer and wish to use it with my new Acer Aspire 3002LC laptop. The pin on the lead from the printer has a 25 pin connection, whereas the socket on the laptop is for a 15 pin lead. Are you able to point me to the exact connector I'd need to use? I won't be very good at picking a cable out of a list., so a supplier would be welcome.

Thanks for any help you might be able to give.

Bye,
    Penny. :)`

2. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

doesnt the 680 have a USB connection

your describing the parrallel connection - which used to be the standard - however, they introduced USB and for a while printers had both on

ftp://download.epson-europe.com/pub/download/85/epson8500eu.pdf

I suspect this is for connecting an external monitor and not a printer

this will convert your USB to a parrallel plug
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=34448&&source=14&doy=search

but I think the printer USB cable should be all you need - and may even have been supplied with the printer - they used to supply cables in the early days

3. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi Penny
    I havent found a site with the acer outputs on it but I'm guessing that the 15 pin output is for an external monitor. You will probably need to buy a new printer that runs off a USB port. You may be able to buy a USB to parallel converter but I couldn't say how well that would work.

I followed the link that etaf provided and it looks like you just need a USB to Printer USB cable as your printer appears to have a USB port on it. You should be able to get one pretty cheaply (Under $10.00 ) at any computer store.

4. Tuppence2

Tuppence2 Thread Starter

Hello everyone. :)

Thank you very much for taking time to help me, and for the links.

I'm clear now as to what I need, and also as to what the port is for at the back of the laptop - I'll know where to plug a free-standing monitor when I get one. :)

Bye,
    Penny.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/451562