1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connect Intel GMA 950 to Toshiba (Cinema Series) TV

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fiLmNut, Apr 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fiLmNut

fiLmNut Account Closed Thread Starter

I know - I know... Another PC to TV problem! Please hear me out though... To "Just get to the damn point" Scroll to the RED TEXT... In a nutshell I need my PC to detect my TV trying the usual solutions, then if still not successful force it to by any means, without doing the obvious which is to buy a costly solution. Buying small parts or inexpensive adapters etc. doesn't count... Just a spare time side project.

While all PC to TV connections are relatively unique, I feel my set-up is especially unique and difficult to troubleshoot and configure without a full understanding of all the systems, software and technology involved and how they interact with one another etc etc.

I feel that one system property setting relies on another system's property setting etc... Thus creating a frustrating catch 22 situation leaving you scratching your head. I am asking as a last resort after about a month of intuitive research during my spare time stubbornly trying to solve this myself for the fun of it. In fact, I'm sure I've already answered the cause of the problem (without solution). Yet before I'm satisfied with that and give in and buy a converter etc. I want to dig deeper to potentially discover a likely missed/overlooked simple solution or an advanced solution whether it be software/registry maniplulation or hardware and a soldering gun. I have learned there are far too many variables that are relative to one another for my level of DYI know how.

I need to Connect an "Acer Aspire" 5570 2792 Laptop to a 1994 "Toshiba" (Cinema Series) TV [Model No.TV32D60]

This is what I have to work with:

Graphics Card: Intel GMA 950 with a "Female" 7 slot S-Video Port (Intel site confirms all system drivers updated)

TV Inputs: Female 4 slot S-Video and Composite Video Input

Connector Cable Set Up is made up of three cables listed in order below from Laptop to TV.

1 - "Male" 7 Pin S-Video > "Female" Composite Video ~
    2 - Double ended "Male" Composite Video ~
    3 - "Female" Composite Video > "Male" 4 Pin S-Video (Also tried connecting without this cable)

OR a typical VCR if useful.

I can't get the Graphics card software to even DETECT the older TV to move forward. I don't know how Operating Systems or Software versions or Digital to Analog or obsolete detection methods etc etc etc all may play into all of this.

The seemingly most accurate causes I have found and would very much like to find a work around for are that older Televisions "ping" through different S-Video slots than newer models do (or something to that effect).

I tried a hack which suggested bridging the S-Video's holes ONE to THREE with one single copper wire shown on a video found here: nafcom.blogspot.com/2008/06/how-to-force-tv-detection.html which didn't work, or maybe I did it wrong. I'm not sure. Next, Intel may have screwed up somewhere down the line and is yet to release a driver patch to resolve this problem. With so many things to consider and being close to the problem I am asking you the experts to look at the problem with fresh eyes.

If I left out pertainent info. please ask.

Thank You.

Fn

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919778

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice