1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connect laptop and android phone thru Wi-Fi

Discussion in 'Networking' started by vcpmsc, Jan 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vcpmsc

vcpmsc Thread Starter

Hi ,

I need to connect my laptop with android phone thru Wi-Fi. I have created ad hoc WEP connection in my laptop. Now, the signal strength in my laptop Wi-Fi shows "no signal". Therefore , my phone is not detecting the ad hoc connection which I have created. Please help me to resolve the problem.....

Note: I have created a Wi-Fi hotspot in my phone and connected with my laptop. I can able to use my phone's internet in laptop. But I'm trying reverse now. i.e Use internet from laptop to phone. Anyone Please help.

Thanks in advance.....

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I suggest to use no encryption until you first get a wireless connection working.

After creating an ad-hoc network you then have to "connect" or "activate" it before it will begin broadcasting.

3. prunejuice

prunejuice

If your laptop is within wifi range, why wouldn't your Android phone be within wifi range. Why the ad-hoc connection?
    If it's simple file transfer, use Bluetooth.

4. vcpmsc

vcpmsc Thread Starter

@TerryNet: Thanks for reply. I had try with open connection too. I have created a ad hoc network and I gave connect. It shows "Waiting for users", but the signal strength is still "No signal". But I'm able to connect my phone with wireless router(in office). Though I can say its not problem with my phone and my laptop.

5. vcpmsc

vcpmsc Thread Starter

@prunejuice: Thanks for reply. I'm not trying to transfer files. I'm trying to use my internet connection in laptop to phone.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What channel are you using for the ad-hoc wireless, and are you sure the phone uses that channel?

For example, if I had a phone (or other device) set for the North America region (Wi-Fi channels 1-11) and was in Europe (Wi-Fi channels 1-13) the phone would not detect channels 12 and 13.

7. vcpmsc

vcpmsc Thread Starter

I'm not sure which channel it is using. I have reinstalled the driver pack and restarted the machine and created a new ad hoc connection. Now it is showing the signal strength as "Excellent".

I haven't connect the phone and checked ICS is working correctly , going to check it working or not.

Thanks for the suggestion. Sorry if I troubled you.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974052

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice