1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connect laptop to desktop and synchronise files

Discussion in 'Networking' started by busterdog, Dec 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. busterdog

busterdog Thread Starter

Good evening

I have a desktop running win 98se and a laptop running win xp pro.
    The desktop has 2 network cards in. One is used to connect to the ntl tv set-top box to access the internet (broadband) and the other is free.
    The laptop has a 10base t card which I use to connect to the network at work.

Can (with an rj45 cable) I synchronise/downloade & upload files between the two computers and would it be possible to access the net with the laptop through the desktop.

If any of this is possible, how do I configure things? I have never delved into the realms of this sort of thing before.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks

2. Rockn

Rockn

You would need a crossover cable between the two computers and it will only work if the desktops NIC is a 10 or a 10/100 NIC. Next you need to configure the network between the two PC's. On both you will need to add the following under Network settings.

1. Client for MS Networks
    2. A Network protocol (TCP/IP because XP doesn't have NetBUEI any longer). Give each PC a unique IP address something like 128.200.245.something and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0
    3. Under services add File and Printer Sharing
    4. Under the identification tab give each PC a unique network name and the same workgroup name.
    5. Once it is done and reboots you will log into the PC. Go into windoze explorer and right click the drive or drives you want to share and select sharing....give yourself full access and no password

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61627

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice