Connect laptop with desktop for peripherals & multi display

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

3xAmazing

What I first thought was a simple task has left me a bit boggled. I have 2 PCs: my desktop, which I use for general gaming, and my laptop, which remotes into my office. After several months of working from home on my laptop my back is killing me. I thought, "why don't I connect the laptop to the desktop monitor so I can use a full-size keyboard and screen while I work." Of course is isn't that easy...

How can I set up my battle station so that I can easily switch from gaming on my single desktop to working from my laptop with dual displays and my desktop peripherals? I'd like to avoid plugging and unplugging multiple cords (mouse, keyboard, HDMI) every time I make the switch. Is there a docking system I can use that will easily switch from one PC to the other while keeping all other inputs the same?

TLDR: I want to use my mouse/keyboard/monitor while switching between two different PCs.

Fireflycph

Morten
You may be able to use a KVM switch, which has multiple inputs but only one output?

You can start by looking HERE.

Note that although it should ,I don't know any of these switches and therefore can't say whether it'll work for you.

The other option is ... ( If both your desktop and the laptop have a USB-C port) is to use a USB-C docking station. You plug all the accessories into the docking station ( Monitor, Keyboard and mouse, and even your RJ45 Network cable) and the single USB-C plug can then be plugged into either the Desktop or the laptop. So one plug moves all accessories over to either platform.

3xAmazing

All of these are helpful suggestions. The KMV is what I was envisioning. I'll research around to see what will suit my needs.

If your laptop is Win 10 Pro, then using Remote Desktop you don't have to spend any money.

Couriant

James
I don't think a KMV would work because of the laptop. A USB/USB-C Dock would be a better solution.

Remote Desktop Connection (Free, part of Windows) would also work if you use the PC as the main computer and then remoting into the laptop, but that will depend if your work laptop has policies that may prevent RDP to the laptop.

(assuming that the laptop is a work-issued laptop... if it's your own personal one, you should be able to use the same software on the laptop that you remote into work on your desktop)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online