1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connect Linksys Access Point to Linksys Router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jcpearlman, Aug 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jcpearlman

jcpearlman Thread Starter

I need some serious help. I have computer A hard wired to LInksys WRT54G router and computer B hard wired to Linksys WAP54G access point. Computer B uses Win 7 as its operating system. I cannot figure out for the life of me how to get the access point to find the network. Can anyone please advise? Thanks.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're trying to use AP (Access Point) Client or Wireless Bridge mode? If so, the user manual says

It says the same thing for Wireless Bridge.

Maybe the manual is correct. :)

Or I misunderstood what you are trying to do?

3. jcpearlman

Thanks for the response. I am not sure if it is set as AP client or bridge. In either event, are you saying that it cannot connect to a Linksys WRT54G? Also, where can I find out if it is set-up as an AP client or bridge?

Basically, all I want to do it is get computer B to connect to the internet. Computer A has the WRT54G hard wired to it so the only way computer B (WAP54G hard wired to it) can connect to the internet is if it starts communicating with the WRT54G.

For some reason I cannot get it to do that. I downloaded the WAP54G set-up application onto a flash drive and tried to run it on computer B however that still did not help me.

Any suggestions?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    No, I am not saying that, because I do not know. I quoted the manual, which is saying that.

:confused: Not sure I understand your question. According to the manual the default mode is AP. So, if it is in AP client or wireless bridge mode you changed it. I did not read the manual closely enough to see exactly where the setting is or what it is called (my guess would be "mode").

5. jcpearlman

Thanks for the response. Well, I reset the Access Point so everything is in default mode. So at this point I am just trying to get it to connect to the WRT54G. However, computer B is not finding a network.

Current setup:
    Computer B - hard wired to WAP54G
    Computer A - hard wired to WRT54G and modem

Any clue what I should do?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you want a wireless connection for Computer B my suggestion is to just get a wireless adapter for it. Else get a WAP that does have AP Client or Wireless Bridge capability w/o being tied to a specific AP.

7. jcpearlman

Thanks for the response. Perhaps, my level should not be listed as intermediate because I don't really understand what you mean. Can you explain it again for me? Sorry. I was told that the WAP54G would function as a network adapter.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Don't worry about your "level." We're all raw beginners in some aspects and super experts in others. :)

Yes; that's AP Client (or Wireless Bridge) mode. In that mode it "extends" a wireless network to ethernet. (I use an Airlink101 AP431w that way to connect a camera to my wireless network.) The manual says that in that mode your Linksys will connect only to another WAP54G (being used in the default AP mode).

Have you read through your manual? Did you follow the instructions for AP client mode to see if you could get it to work with your router?

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It functions as a wireless adapter, but the way you have to use it is different. With a wireless adapter you just scan for wireless networks, choose one and connect. To connect to a different network just scan again and make a different choice.

With a WAP in AP client mode you have to login to it, set it up to connect to the desired network, and then begin using it. To connect to a different network you have to login and repeat the process.

10. jcpearlman

Thanks so much for responding. Yes, I have read the manual; however, there is really nothing on the topic of connecting it to a WRT54G. Okay, I think I understand. I did login by typing the default IP address and then I changed it to 192.168.1.113 so that I could connect it to my network. However, it is not picking up my network. Do you want me to change the mode so that it is not in "AP client mode"? If so, how do I do that and what am I changing it to? Thanks again for everything!

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If I remember correctly it says that Repeater mode will work with the WRT54G. But that does you no good.

All I can suggest is to follow the Client AP mode instructions for connecting to another WAP54G and hope that it works with the WRT54G.

12. jcpearlman

Okay, I will try. I don't see those instructions though. Where can I find them?

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Page 13 of the manual for version 2.0. Those manuals don't change much, so whatever your version is the manual is probably very similar.

14. jcpearlman

Okay, that was super helpful. I think we are getting closer. I really appreciate your help. I changed the setting to AP client mode. Then I did a site survey and tried selecting my network. Then I got an error message "Does Not Support WPA!!!" What is WPA?

15. jcpearlman

I went to the WRT54G page and I clicked on "wireless" then "wireless security" and I saw WPA pre-shared key selected from the drop down next to "mode". So I am so confused.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/946185

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice