1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connect my PC in India from US

Discussion in 'Networking' started by roma11_22, May 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roma11_22

roma11_22 Thread Starter

Hi,

I am wondering if it is possible to connect my home PC back in India from here in USA. I tried net meeting, remote desktop connection, but i got errors.

Can some experts guide me how to do this. I think this will not be allowed as its something like hacking. I use a cable modem and router, while the internet connection in India is a dial up 56 kbps.

I read on internet that both the PCs must be on same network for netmeeting, etc to work, so how do i do that. Also is it true that the IP address given by ipconfig is not the actual IP address, i should somehow get the WAN ip address of both PC's. I do not know how to get that.

Guidance would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    When you are connected to a router your computer's IP address is a private address assigned by the router. For your public IP address look at the router's WAN status or go here: http://www.whatismyip.com/

To connect by Remote Desktop your India PC has to be configured properly; for XP Pro this just means set to allow RD. For other systems you need some third party software. And, of course, the PC has to be connected to the internet. You will probably not enjoy RD with dial-up, and unless it's a pretty decent dial-up it may be too slow to work at all. Good luck.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/572959

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice