1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connect Old external shared storage to router/computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pjamesg1386, Dec 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pjamesg1386

pjamesg1386 Thread Starter

I have an old Maxtor Shared Storage device (H01R300) that worked just fine yesterday. I used this device in the past as both an external memory and a network route for an attached LaserPrinter, so family could wirelessly send docs to printer. The device was recognized by the old router, and the workstation computer recognized the external shared storage properly as a network device.
    My wifi broadcasting failed yesterday so I did a complete troubleshoot and the wifi continued to be the problem. The ethernet ports continued to fully function and the workstation continued to recognize the external storage and network funcitons. I purchased a new NetGear N600 (WNDR3400v3) router to replace it. Wifi internet is back to cells, tablets, HDTV'S, etc. and internet to workstation via Ethernet cable works perfectly. However, the new router recognizes the wifi devices, but cannot recognize the external storage device connected via ethernet cable.
    The external storage device when initally energized attempts to start and gets stuck attempting to 'talk' to the router, or the workstation computer, but cannot get through. I need a brief tutuorial explanation of the proper steps to manually connect the external peripheral to the new router, and establish the connections properly as they functioned before.
    I also need to learn if the peripheral needs new firmware (or if its even supported anymore), and how to get that done as well. I will strongly consider purchasing a new peripheral storage/network drive if this old one becomes too difficult to manage, and transfer of existing data can be done easily from old to new.
    Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
    Seriously, I've exhausted just about all my own technical knowledge and fear going further.
    Help!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1181928

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice