Connect old Toshiba laptop to wifi

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.
Why can't you connect the XP computer to the router directly, or is that too far away? The max length of Ethernet cables is 328 ft.

TerryNet

Terry
One possibility is a firewall on the Toshiba blocking. Uninstall any non-Windows security program(s) you may have on the Toshiba. And make sure the XP's built-in firewall is not blocking.

Another possibility is a defective ethernet cable. If the MAC has a gigabit (1000 Mbps) adapter all 8 wires of the cable are used.

Somebody suggested that the MAC's Dhcp server may not be working. That seems highly unlikely to me, but you could test for that by setting the Toshiba to use, say, IP 192.168.1.50, mask 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.1.196.

Couriant

James
One possibility is a firewall on the Toshiba blocking. Uninstall any non-Windows security program(s) you may have on the Toshiba. And make sure the XP's built-in firewall is not blocking.

Another possibility is a defective ethernet cable. If the MAC has a gigabit (1000 Mbps) adapter all 8 wires of the cable are used.

Somebody suggested that the MAC's Dhcp server may not be working. That seems highly unlikely to me, but you could test for that by setting the Toshiba to use, say, IP 192.168.1.50, mask 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.1.196.
I forgot about the security programs... thanks for adding that! I only mention connecting to the modem/router directly is to ensure that the Toshiba does get an IP address hich will mean the Ethernet port is working then we can then look to see if the Mac is set up correctly for ICS... having said that I have never had to set up a Mac for ICS before. Just want to eliminate the Ethernet on the Toshiba first.

TerryNet

Terry
I only mention connecting to the modem/router directly is to ensure that the Toshiba does get an IP address hich will mean the Ethernet port is working
I certainly agree with that! :) Plus, as in an earlier post, that is the best option if available.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online