1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connect PC Speakers to a TV

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by akivatyler, Aug 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. akivatyler

akivatyler Thread Starter

I have an extra 2.1 PC Speaker system. I was wondering if I can connect it to my TV. If so, what cables do I need?

Thank you.

2. Dick1038

Dick1038

Well, it depends.

If your speaker system has built-in power amp, all you need is and extra cable/adapter. Your TV should have two audio output RCA phono jacks-left & right audio channels. You need an adapter cable that has, on one end, a female stereo mini-jack, the kind that matches your speaker stereo plug. The cable should branch into a "Y" with an RCA phono plug on the end of each branch.

If your speaker system doesn't have its own power amp, then you will have to provide a separate one. I use a 30 watt amp from All Electronics, CAT# AMP-30, click on link: http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=937&type=store
    They also have an adapter cable for 3.5 mm stereo plugs, CAT# AD-18. If you have a different sized stereo plug on your speakers, you will have to shop around. I buy from All Electronics all the time. Good luck.

3. akivatyler

Dumb question: Why do I need an amplifier? Will it not work with the y-connector alone?

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

"Speakers" are not all created equal.

Most "Speakers" that connect to PC's include an internal amplifier, so have a power pack or power plug to supply them. These are amplified speakers, as most PCs (and AV outputs on TVs) are low level (low power) audio designed to feed an amplifier or amplified speakers.

The real definition of "Speakers" are the devices themselves, which are designed to connect to an amplifier speaker output (high power).

Your post is unclear what you actually have as "2.1 PC Speaker system", are these just the actual speakers or powered (amplified) speakers.

5. akivatyler

6. Dick1038

Dick1038

If your speakers have to be powered then they have built-in power amps, so just use the "Y" connector. I tend to buy "el cheapo" systems and the tiny speakers that come with them are unpowered. I measured the stereo speaker plug on my computer and it is 2.1mm in diameter. I briefly tried Googling for one but came up empty. If you or have a freind that is handy with a small soldering iron, the 2.1mm jacks and phono cables are readily available and can be soldered together.

7. dannnyb

dannnyb

Right ok this may be a stupid question but here goes. Im also looking to connect my pc speaks to my TV, they definitely have an amp in them. With the 2 RCA to mini jack cable, could I plug the 2 RCA's into my TV, then the mini jack to the line in on my sound card? My speakers go out of the digital connection, but would that work and/or should I be doing it differently?

8. dannnyb

dannnyb

anyone.....? Plus also would it be worth buying a decent rca to jack cable or would a cheap 1 be ok?

9. inuyasha320

inuyasha320

you will need a av adapter

ill post a pic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sry for the poor image quality but my digital cam sucks

with that adapter, all you need is a av wire that you would normally use with a dvd player

plug the red and white autio cables in

then plug the speakers into the green colored jack

the black colored jack is for a subwoofer (incase you have an extra subwoofer

for your speaker system, you will only need the green jack

hope you live near a radioshack

you should be able to get one for around 3-4 dollars

10. inuyasha320

inuyasha320

i am not 100% sure of the exact name of the adapter but the people ad a electronic store should know what your talking about and find you a adapter

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/394568