1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connect PC to HDTV via HDMI -> CAT5 -> Router -> Access Point -> CAT5 -> HDMI -> TV

Discussion in 'Networking' started by murphys, Jul 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. murphys

murphys Thread Starter

Hi,

Sounds complicated (To me anyway)

I'm running Windows 7 64bit with 2 video cards (NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT and NVIDIA GeForce GT 240) as I use 3 monitors.

My TV is located where it is not possible to run a cable to it from the PC, It is however beside a CAT5 box that is connected to a CAT5 box beside my PC.

I use a TP-LINK TL-MR3420 router for my PC and wireless access upstairs.
    It is connected to a Belkin Share wireless router set up purely as an access point downstairs via the 2 cat boxes mentioned earlier for wireless access and a wired connection to my xBox.

I want to use one of the spare video card ports to connect to my HDTV
    I have a HDMI output on the NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT and a DVI output on the NVIDIA GeForce GT 240 that are not in use.

I think HDMI is the way to go as I believe I can use a S/PDIF cable to connect my motherboard to my NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT and so I will have audio as well as visual.

My question is:
    Can I use a HDMI to CAT5 converter, connect a HDMI cable to the video card output, connect one end of a CAT5 cable to that, the other end to my TP-LINK TL-MR3420 router (Which is connected to my Belkin Share wireless router)
    Take a CAT5 to HDMI converter and run a HDMI cable from my Belkin Share wireless router to my HDTV?
    Is it possible to do this via a router at all?

Any help is much appreciated .. :)

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi and welcome to TSG.

The HDMI to CAT5 converter most likely sends raw high speed serial video through all four twisted pairs of wires in the CAT5 cable rather than converting the video data to Ethernet compatible data packets. Any Ethernet router or switch would not know what hit it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1006397

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice