1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connect Printer to 2 Computers at Once

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zzach, Jul 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zzach

zzach Thread Starter

I have an old desktop (IBM NetVista) operating Windows 2000, and a new laptop (Toshiba Satellite A-135-S4727) operating Vista Home Premium. My printer is a Canon EX310 multimedia. I'm able to print from each computer separately by disconnecting and reconnecting the printer cable to whichever computer I want to use. It works, but it's inconvenient. Can I connect the printer to both computers at the same time -- so I don't have to keep switching the connection? If so, what cords, cables, ports, adapters, etc., do I need?

2. bigbear

bigbear

Are both machines using the same modem router?
    If yes then you can create a network and configure the printer to sharing so both machines can use the printer.
    I suggest connecting the printer to the desktop and use the printer wifi from the laptop

3. zzach

zzach Thread Starter

Thanks Big Bear. I really appreciate your quick response.

Both machines are using the same router and are configured so they both can share the printer. But the printer isn't equipped for wireless connection. So I want to find out if I can connect both computers by wire at the same time -- and how to do it.

4. bigbear

bigbear

5. zzach

zzach Thread Starter

I'll follow the Microsoft link you attached and see how it works. My laptop is already connected thru the router to the Internet, which works fine. So I don't know if I need to connect with an ethernet cable. We'll see. Meanwhile, many thanks.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/728877

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice