1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connect printer to router to get rid of desktop?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Sylvanscion, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sylvanscion

Sylvanscion Thread Starter

Hi there! :) I'm trying to connect my printer (a Canon Pixma MP460) to my wireless router, so that I can box up my desktop and just use my laptop from now on.
    I have an adapter already so I can plug it directly into the router, the problem is me- I have no idea how to configure things so that the printer knows where it is, once it's plugged in there, or so that my laptop (or my husband's Macbook, for that matter) can see that it still exists.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. What kind of adapter do you have for it? USB to Ethernet? If so, I'm not quite sure that will work.

3. Sylvanscion

Yeah, that's what I have, because that's the only option I thought I had. The only cord coming from the printer is a USB, and the only ports on the back of the router are ethernet.
    Ok, so that's not the solution. What's next? :)

4. ~Candy~

I think you are going to need to connect the printer to a print server.

Something like this:

http://www.dlink.com/products/?model=DP-301U

Not all printers will work with print servers. I have an HP all in one that won't. I just keep it connected to a desktop.

5. Sylvanscion

Ah. Thank you, I'll definitely look into those. And poke around the Canon website to make sure whether they say it'll be compatible, in the first place. Why do they have to make it so difficult? *lol*

6. ~Candy~

It's not only the printer, it's the print server that has to like the printer ;)

7. Sylvanscion

*headdesk*
    Thank you for your help!! I so hope we can find something that will play nice with the printer *and* the router *and* my little Wind *and* hubby's Mac....

8. ~Candy~

The Mac and your operating system isn't that important as to the print server/printer. I have found however, that sharing a printer with Windows and Mac regardless HOW you do it can be trying :D

9. Sylvanscion

Well, I found that the Canon site recommends the Silex C-6700WG Print Server, which is compatible with Windows XP. And the Pixma printer we have, we bought a bluetooth adapter for it, so the Mac has been printing to it via that this whole time, so it should be fine...
    Now just to convince the hubby that we can wait for the print server to come in the mail instead of him running out and buying one that's not recommended by Canon, and it not working anyway...

10. ~Candy~

Can't help with that one, you're on your own :D

11. Sylvanscion

:D Ah well. Thank you for your help so far!!

12. ~Candy~

You're welcome :)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757310

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice