1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connect Smart Phone to Internet via wireless router

Discussion in 'Phones & Handheld Devices' started by Lou-55, May 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lou-55

Lou-55 Thread Starter

Hi I just purchased an LG P500 phone with android 2.2. I am having no luck connecting the phone to the internet at home. I travel and in a hotel I can connect to the internet no problem. When I scan and connect the phone finds the network and connects, I am then asked for the login ID and pass word from the hotel and I am connected. So far no problem. When I get home I want to connect the phone to the internet so I scan for my wireless router. The phone and the router see each other, the router asks for the router WEP pass word I input it and the phone connects, no problem. I try to go on the internet and the phone tells me no connection.

This is likely because my connection is through the phone line, I have ADSL. When I connect with my laptop either wireless or with cable at my desk, I connect with the router using the WEP and then when I connect to the internet I use my login ID and pass word for the IP provider. Therfore my problem is that the smart phone can't get to the internet becasure I haven't logged in to the provider.

I have looked and looked but I can't find anything on the smartphone about sending or keying the User ID and PW for the internet service I have. Is it me or is this a limitation of my setup?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Louie....

2. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

usually the username and password is in the modem (modem router combination , which you may have ) to make the connection to the internet always ON

whats the make and model of the modem and router
    who is the ISP

3. Lou-55

Lou-55 Thread Starter

The modem is an Alice Gate 2 Plus Wi-Fi. The provider is Infostrada also known as Libero.it. By the way I live in Italy.

For more info I can tell you that I can connect more than one computer with a cable, but when I do the second computer also needs to provide the WEP password to connect to the router and the login ID to connect to the provider.

4. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

i have looked at this site (and translated to english)
    http://translate.google.co.uk/trans...v=/search?q=Alice+Gate+2+Plus&hl=en&prmd=ivns

this is the site - without translation http://assistenzatecnica.telecomita...geLabel=GuideBook&nodeId=/AT_REPOSITORY/20005

this is a partcular interesting comment in the site
    do you know if you have that type of subscription ?

5. Lou-55

Lou-55 Thread Starter

Yes I have the flat rate but not through Alice. I have an Alice Modem, but not a subscription. I used to be subscribed to alice years ago, But I changed to Infostrada. Everytime I connect to the net I have to enter the user id and pw so I'm pretty sure the always connected doesn't apply.

6. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

so do you have a program on the PC that you run to do the connection?

7. Lou-55

Lou-55 Thread Starter

No, When I click on connect to the net using outlook or the IN Explorer I have window pop up that has my user id and password in it. It was created from the configure network connection wizzard in windows 7. I started at the link you sent me and have found out that the modem supplied by Alice is somehow locked. It does not allow me to modify anything other that the WEP. It also says that it is in bridged mode, don't know what this means though. I kept looking and found several site and articles that have a procedure to reset the modem and load new firmware to make it a regular mode/router. Maybe this is the problem.

http://backtrackcommunity.wordpress...wifi-trasformazione-in-router-adsl2-wireless/

Could this be my problem. If it is, I'll just go buy a new router. I don't fell like going through all this. What do you think?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/999127