1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"Connect to a network" button doesn't work

Discussion in 'Networking' started by shupette, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shupette

shupette Thread Starter

I have Vista Home Basic and got a new Internet supplier, so by cable it works but when I try to connect to a wireless network I can't do it because the link to "Connect to a network" in the Network Connections menu does not work and if I click it it just doesn't open anything. What can I do?

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. Do you have a wireless network set up?

3. shupette

shupette Thread Starter

Hi AcaCandy, thanks. Yeah I do, the problem here is only that when I click the "connect to a network" button it does not display anything else, so I cannot connect to any new network, just the ones I already have configured. Every other laptop here with Vista has already configured this new one, but in mine I dunno why it doesn't work.

4. tek guy

tek guy

Hi! What is your wireless router? Is your laptop do a have a built-in wireless adapter? Have you tried to connect to your network before or is it the first time that you will connect to your wireless network?

5. ~Candy~

This new one, meaning you got a new router? Are you able to get to the router set up page?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Is your router's SSID broadcast enabled?

7. shupette

shupette Thread Starter

I don't think it is a router problem, because I can not try to access connection in any other wireless network since I cannot "connect to a network". I think it is a Windows Vista problem

8. tek guy

tek guy

What is the message when you go the computer and select connect to a network? Do you have a list of networks that you can choose from or is it grayed out? Did you go to network sharing and network center to look for wireless network connection? Did you right click on it and select connect?

9. ~Candy~

I guess I'll ask this again.

10. shupette

shupette Thread Starter

AcaCandy, no i'm not able to get to the router set up page.

Tek guy, there is no message, simply no window opens. It's like if you double clicked on any file, and it never opened

11. tek guy

tek guy

So u mean that you have a router? What is the model of the router? If you went to network and sharing center, you go wireless network connection and right click on it for you see the connect button and click on it (Does it open or do you see the wireless network connection under network and sharing center?)

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Are you trying to use an integrated wireless adapter? If so, is it switched on?

In your first post you mention "Network Connections menu." Where do you find this menu?

In the Notification Area there should be a "networking" icon. Click on it and then click on "Connect or disconnect...". Do you get a "Connect to a network" window? If so, do you see any wireless networks there?

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758181

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice