1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connect to internet (cable modem)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by geek_wannabe, Jun 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. geek_wannabe

geek_wannabe Thread Starter

My problem is I can't connect to the Internet with my cable modem. I was previously hooked up with Roger's and I moved and switched isp's. Roger's has obviously done something to my settings. The cable guy came and said that I was getting a valid ip address, but the fact that I opted for the basic installation hindered him from helping me. Also he said that I was able to ping other computers on the LAN.
    Does anybody know if isp's change certain settings? and if so how do I get them back to the point where I can access the internet with my current isp?
    Any info would be appreciated.

2. Toddles18

Toddles18

try this, open a command prompt and type

ping 216.239.33.100

see if you get a response, if you do type in

ping google.com

if you don't get a response then your DNS settings are screwed up.

3. geek_wannabe

geek_wannabe Thread Starter

when i ping anywhere i get unkown host....how do i configure my dns settings?

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

How is your cable modem connected to your LAN? Do you have a broadband router, or a simple hub/switch? Does your new ISP provide multiple IP addresses? If you really want help, you need to provide enouth details to evaluate your situation.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/138454

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice