1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connect to internet...computer freezes or get a blue screen error message

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by gooner24, Nov 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gooner24

gooner24 Thread Starter

This is my problem.

After booting my computer, I double click on Internet Explorer. Then the box appears with your connection details. I click OK. Then either the computer freezes or I get a blue screen with a couple of error messages.

I reboot my computer and then attempt to connect again. Either the same thing happens, or it's successful. It's weird because I don't shut down any programs or anything. Is it just luck?

I would like some advice please :)

2. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi gooner24, Welcome!
    Can you post the error messages? What version of IE you have? What is your system?

3. gooner24

gooner24 Thread Starter

Thanks very much for the reply.

I'm using Windows ME. My system is the Acer Power S Series.

When I get a blue screen, I get this error message:

File Name : VMM (01) + 00010B1F Error: OE: 0028 : C00011B1F

After I press a key, I get this one:

An exception OE has occured at 0028 : C00011B1F in VxD VMM (01) + 00010B1F. This was called from 0028 : C00708E8 in VxD VKD (01) + 00000648. It may be possible to continue normally.

When I press another key I get this one:

An exception OE has occured at 0028 : C0290D80 in VxD NDIS (04) + 0000CD00. This was called from 0028 : C001D324 in VxD NDIS (01) + 00005AA0. It may be possible to continue normally.

Then I press another key and:

An exception OE has occured at 0028 : C0264211 in VxD VPOWERD (07) + 00000299. This was called from 0028 : C00708E8 in VxD VKD (01) + 00000648. It may be possible to continue normally.

After that, I press another key and the first smaller message re-appears with a different error:

File name : BIOSXLAT (02) + 0000000 8 Error : OE : 0028 : 022EA68

It then freezes and I have to boot up again.

I hope there's a remedy out there :)

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

A couple of those error modules make me suspicious of a problem with Advanced Power Management. Do you know how to enter your BIOS setup and disable it there?

You can probably get there by pressing the DEL key as soon as the computer begins booting. Look for a page tiled Power Management and look for APM. If it is enabled, toggle it to No or Disabled by highlighting it (use arrow keys) then use the + or - keys. Press esc to return to the main menu and exit with save. Don't do anything else there. This will probably cause Windows to halt on the "it is now safe to turn off screen", but that should not be a problem.

Alternatively you can try turning of APM in Windows; look for the Power Management applet in the Control Panel and see if there is an option there. But you may still need to do it in the BIOS.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59808

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice