1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connect to internet via ethernet cable

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by amykinz19, May 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. amykinz19

amykinz19 Thread Starter

My parents have a ATT 2701HG-B router which they only connect to the internet thorugh the ethernet cable. I am staying with them and have my computer and smart phone connected to their router wirelessly. Now, whenever they turn on their computer they can't connect to the internet unless I unplug the router and have windows diagnose and repair. Does anyone know how I can fix this? Thank you!

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi amykinz19, and welcome to TSG.

1) Are all devices using DHCP to get their IP addresses from the router?

2) Are you able to access the router's set-up pages to get the DHCP range and Subnet mask settings?

3. amykinz19

amykinz19 Thread Starter

1. I have no idea how to find that out.

2. I have no idea how to do that.

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    1) Assuming both your and you parent's computers are running some version of MS-Windows, do the following on each computer when it has a working connection:

A) Press the Windows and "R" keys on the keyboard. This will open a Run dialog box.

B) Enter CMD in the Run dialog box. This will open a black command screen.

C) Enter IPCONFIG /ALL . Note that there is a space before the slash, but not after it.

D) Mark and copy the entire report to the Windows clipboard

E) Log into the TSG site and create a new post in this thread and paste in the clipboard contents.

2) Look on the bottom of the 2701HG-B Modem/Router to see if it lists the default IP address of the unit and the default username and password. The information may also be in a printed manual or help file for the modem/router.

A) If you get the information, use it in a web browser on either connected computer to access the modem/router's configuration screens. One or more of them should should show the DHCP settings and subnet mask of the LAN ports.

5. amykinz19

amykinz19 Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help. It turned out to be a missing driver which prevented the internet from starting automatically. Things are working well now. TSG has been great and very helpful. Thanks again.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1052334

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice