1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connect to Local Exchange on machine with 2 NICs

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ImagingGuy2015, Sep 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ImagingGuy2015

ImagingGuy2015 Thread Starter

Hi there,

Let me explain my situation. I have a PC on a crowded network that cannot handle much more bandwidth usage.

I am now going to have a tons of transferring to do offsite so I added a second internet line just to deal with the influx of file transfers.

I tried a dual WAN setup on my router and the performance was not improved (if it was nobody noticed it) so I said forget that idea, I only need to do these massive transfers from 1 PC so I will just add a second NIC to the machine so that the 1st NIC can maintain local network functionality and the 2nd NIC will be just for internet traffic (sending files up/down to offsite location)

Essentially I just need NIC1 for handling local network, connecting to exchange etc. and NIC2 to handle files transfes to offsite location through seconday internet line.

So now I have a desktop PC with two NICs. One of them built into the board, the other a pci add on nic. they are both 10/100

On nic1, there is a connection to my network 200.200.1.X which is the internal network for Exchange, local files transfers etc. This is the network i have always had connected and I have no problem connecting to my exchange server etc. (my server is providing dns/dhcp/wins/AD/MSE for the entire network)

so I installed a secondary NIC and a secondary network line to the NIC2 on the machine.

I set it up with an IP, a SN, a gateway and a DNS

I removed the gateway from the 1st NIC.

When I did this I am now on 2 networks

IP1 200.200.1.68 (for internal use, exchange etc)

IP2 201.201.1.199 (for big files transfers to the offsite location)

There are no other users on the secondary network, just me right now.

I knew I should not have 2 gateways defined, so I only used a gateway on the secondary NIC as thats the one going outside the building.

I am able to browse all machines on the primary network. I can initiate RDC and I can transfer files, share devices etc all is great...EXCEPT

I cannot get outlook to connect to exchange with the 2nd NIC enabled. Everything else works fine with only the 1 gateway on the 2nd NIC, just not exchange connection through the primary NIC.

I tried changing the name from a server name to the ip in Account settings, more settings (200.200.1.254) and outlook still cannot make a connection to the exchange machine.

When i type the name OR ip into my run command bar I can get to the server without issue so DNS is OK I think

When I browse network neighborhood I can access all machines/devices.

When I RDC I can connect by name or by IP.

Its just the darn outlook that will not connect to the exchange through the 1st network adaptor.

I thought of modifying the lmhosts file, but I dont think it will matter because regardless of putting in the server name or its IP address into outlook, it just says it cannot connect to server (outlook 2010 client, sbs 2003 btw).

am I doing something wrong here?

SO then I tried adding a gateway to BOTH of the NICs..

This allows me to do EVERYTHING I want, however when i go to whatismyip.com and get a result, the IP it is giving me is NOT either of my static IPs (each network has a seperate internet line with a static IP). Not sure where this IP is coming from, but if i tracert google.com it says I am going out through the primary adaptor.

The new IP from whatismyip.com makes no sense to me as it is not either of my static IPs, however it is very close.

Would this be a situation where my ISP see's I have 2 gateways defined so it generates a 3rd external IP for some reason? Never heard of this but i am no guru.

essentially I just need NIC1 for handling local network, connecting to exchange etc. and NIC2 to handle files transfers to offsite location through seconday internet line.

is there a way to get this to work?

please advise! thanks, jeff

2. ImagingGuy2015

the short version.

i have 2 networks. each network has an internet connection with a static IP.

when i put 2 NIC into a desktop and then configure IP, SN, DNS, gateway WINs everything works, however when i go to whatismyip.com the ip listed is NOT either of my static IPs (but it is similar)

when i tracert to google.com it mentions I am going out through the primary NIC which is the opposite of what I want

the questions is...am I am to use the NIC1 for internal/exchange and the 2nd NIC for just internet transfers.

3. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Do you have a network diagram?

I find it hard to believe your desktop as the initiating source of your file transfers is able to saturate your LAN switch especially at 100 Mb speeds. Particularly if the switch is recent vintage within the past few years.

I also don't understand why you're using public IPs for your internal LAN traffic especially when you're connected to the internet and not on a closed network.

4. ImagingGuy2015

thanks for the response.

I reworded my questions so hopefully they make a bit more sense.

Moving to a private IP scheme is planned for the future. This is how the network was setup when I came here.

As for not needing the 2nd line, the connection we have is a satellite 5Up/5Down. With 20 users + VPN it gets really slow. At peak times my download from my local PC here is less than 200KB/s. When nobody is on the network its much better so i am convinced that the single line cannot handle any more traffic.

The new line is supposed to be just for transferring these larger files. I cannot degrade performance of the original network as it is already so slow people complain everyday. I dont know what to expect with so many users pushing files up/down all day but whatever, it has been working until now.

pretty much I need to know how I can configure the 1 desktop to use 1 nic for internal use and connection to exchange, and the 2nd nic for transferring files out through the internet.

Like I said, with just 1 gateway defined (on the second nic) it works EXACTLY as I have intended,

NIC1 allows me access to primary network, I can transfer files, RDC into machines, use printers etc.

NIC2 allows me access to the internet to FTP files up/down over the 2nd internet connection...great!

HOWEVER having no gateway defined on the primary NIC ruins my connection to the exchange server...

in short, with no gateway on nic1 I cannot get it to connect to local exchange through the primary NIC.

Is there a way to do this? I am not the greatest with this stuff.

thanks for any insight you may have!

5. ImagingGuy2015

OMFG I am such a schmuck

all i had to do was put the gateway from NIC2 into NIC1 and everything works perfect!!!!!

LMFAO thanks anyways.

6. zx10guy

Where are you based out of? Are you located in the States?

7. ImagingGuy2015

no im in canada.

8. zx10guy

Ok. I don't know what is going on with your network. But I did a registry lookup on the two public IPs you've listed and they're registered out of Mexico. Even though it seems to "work," your network is far from correct and needs to be fixed ASAP.

9. ImagingGuy2015

lol no no those are my 2 internal IP ranges (200.200.1.x and 201.201.1.x) I know I should move em to a private IP scheme

10. ImagingGuy2015

and just to update, I spent some time with the end user today that I setup the dual NICs for an she is very happy with the performance using 1 nic for internal network and 1 for internet traffic. now we have her machine constantly uploading/downloading on the 2nd internet line 24/7 (hi res images being transfered) and there is no impact on everyone else's network/internet performance.

I would def recommend this setup to those in a similar situation.

11. zx10guy

Be aware, that if anyone needs to access any internet site using public IPs in the range of addresses you are using as internal IPs, then you're going to have problems. This is not a proper configuration and should be a priority to be fixed first and not put off for a later project. Because you have a routing issue which is staring you in the face but hasn't bit you yet.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1017316

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice