Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

connect to net thru mobile?

934 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  thecaravanman 
#1 ·
Hi there,

I want to find out how I can do that thing where a laptop dials up to the net using a mobile next to it?

I want to be able to do it in the UK.

Thanks

thecaravanman;)

#2 ·
Welcome to TSG!

First, the laptop you have will need an Infrared port, and the Mobile phone will have to have an infrared port as well. Every Mobile sold today, that has the port, also comes with a CD to install the drivers needed to do exactly what you want. Just talk to whatever shop you buy your mobile from, and tell them you need it for this purpose as well. IF you already have a mobile and laptop that you think fills the requirement, give me the make and models of both,a nd I will see if I can find anything for you. Also let me know what Network you are on (BT, Orange, . . .).

Be forewarned, it will be a lot more expensive to do this, than to connect to a phone jack through a modem in your Laptop, but I'll assume you are on the move constantly, judging by your name.

#3 ·
Hi

I don't actually live in a caravan, it's just my name.

My mobile is a Nokia 8210 on Orange . I haven't got a laptop yet but I am in the process of purchasing one. If the Laptop has an infra-red port then it will work?

Is it cheaper to connect to the mobile using a cable?
Are there any other options for connecting without a phone line?

Thanks,

thecaravanman;)

#4 ·
Sorry 'bout the assumption, but it seemed to fit the bill.;)

Yes, if the laptop has an infrared port, running at least Win95, then you should be able to connect.

If you can't locate your Connection CD which should have come with the phone, then you can download everything you need from http://www.nokia.com/phones/productsupport/8210/downloads.html

As to cheaper with a cable connection versus infrared, I don't believe that would have any bearing. The cost of the phone call is going to be based on Orange's charges for making the call, not your connection.

As to other options, I don't believe so, sorry!

#5 ·
Hi

Thanx for replying,

Are you actually able to connect to the phone using a cable and would this save on the laptop price If it had cable connections rather than infra red port? what terms should I be looking for in laptops when seeing what sort of mobile phone connections they have?

#6 ·
I don't propose to be a know-all about anything, but I have never heard of using a cable connection with a mobile phone.

BTW, nowadays, I would be extremely surprised if you found a laptop without an infrared port. They usually come as standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.