1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"connect to " panel coming up on Startup.

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by mushrif, Sep 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mushrif

mushrif Thread Starter

Peviously when I hit the Outlook Express button or the Internet button on the lower tool bar, the "Connect to " panel for ISP connection came up and I could hit "connect" to get to the ISP. Now this panel is coming up onto my desk top on start up of my computer. How do I get back to it only coming up when I activate the Outlook Express or Internet buttons??

2. BillC

BillC

In my XP, I'd go to Start > Contol Panel > Taskbar and Start Menu >Customise >Advanced and try to see if I could disable it there.

3. Miz

Miz

The connect box popping up on startup is almost always due to either spyware or your anti-virus program trying to phone home.

If you're sure it's not an AV program, and if you haven't already, download, install, immediately update and then run Spybot and/or AdAware (you can use them both.) Let whichever one you choose clean up any spyware it finds.

4. BillC

BillC

But of course, Miz is right on target. I was thinking about stopping the pop-up rather than addressing the question as to why. In addition to Miz's suggestions, it might be prudent to do an antivirus scan as well.

5. blake-roberts

blake-roberts

6. BillC

BillC

BR... How in the world did you EVER find that solution? You never know what you can find on TSG.

7. blake-roberts

blake-roberts

With patience (tons of it) working thru' support pages, until I found this:
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...0533025*qt=dialup network*miniver=nsw_2003_se<>&sone=nsw_2003_se_tasks.html&stg=3&prod=Norton%20SystemWorks&ver=2003%20Standard%20Edition%20for%20Windows%202000/Me/98/XP&base=http://www.symantec.com/region/reg_eu/techsupp/&next=nsys/nsw_2003_se_contact_tscs_solve.html&tpre=eu&src=eu_sg&pcode=nsys

There are times when one can do none other than wade thru' link after link after link...

kbr

8. mushrif

mushrif Thread Starter

I have tried downloading and going thro the Spybot deal but it makes no difference. I have McAfee 6.0 virus scan installed. How do I know that it is trying to phone home as noted by Miz??

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163437

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice