1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connect to the net via 2 x wireless routers?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by siggy9, Aug 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. siggy9

siggy9 Thread Starter

I have a linksys 54g wireless broadband router and a belkin 54g wireless broadband router.

I wish to connect 2 x pcs upstairs, to one router, then have that wirelessly connect to second router.

The second router would be my dhcp server, firewall and internet connection.
    The first router would just be a glorified access point.

The problem I have is that if I use the first router in 'access point' mode, it wont see the second router, my pcs lose their dhcp addresses and the whole thing falls over.

I have both routers in the same IP range, same network name, same wireless channel - and even the same room for testing purposes!
    BOTH will act as routers and connect me to the net on their own - wired or wireless - but NEITHER can see each other when I try to go from one to the other to get to the net.

Do I need to make an entry into my routing table?
    Do I need the internet hosting router to be the gateway and the other to just be a 'router'.............
    heeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

No can do, routers only connect in gateway mode, and two routers will never talk to each other.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/267877

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice