Connect to US.A1.YIMG.COM Popup

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

johnscr

I wanted to post this fix for others who might run into this on Windows XP. I searched the web and could not find anyone who had an easy eradication process. I caught a popup infection in IE6 that displayed a login screen requesting login and password. It attempted to connect to US.A1.YIMG.COM, AD.DOUBLECLICK.NET, VIEW.ATDMT.COM, and A.TRIBALFUSION.COM and several other sites. The only way to bypass it is to click the X in the upper corner. Various programs hype that they can remove it, but they cant, i.e. Xoftspy, Scanspyware, Trojanhunter, Winpatrol, PC-Cillin, McAfee, Norton, Spysweeper, Spybot, CA, etc. I tried them all.

This is what works: Go to www.microsoft.com/technet. Print off article 293907 How to Uninstall IE6. Print off article 318378 How to Reinstall/Repair IE6 & Outlook Express in Windows XP. You will need an XP CD before you start. In a nutshell, virus and trojan scan your system, remove any \temp and \Temporary Internet files, shutdown any unnecessary programs. You will uninstall IE6, run sfc /scannow (in the instructions), then reinstall IE6.

Several notes, Microsofts doc forgets to mention when editing the IsInstalled (Regword) that you must modify the value to (0) to indicate IE6 is not installed, otherwise you get a message indicating a newer version is installed and the setup stops. There are two locations this must be done, so use Find in Regedit. Also, after IE6 is running, XP SP2 and the security packs must be reinstalled in their entirety. This drove me insane trying to find a fix, so I hope this helps. Good luck!
Johnscr

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online