1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connect two routers over internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Yonass, Nov 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Yonass

Yonass Thread Starter

Hello,
    I have 2 routers on different locations with static IP addresess and I want to connect LAN`s for file sharing over internet..The routers are Netgear WGR614 and Edimax BR-6204WG..Can anyone have idea how can I do that??
    Thanks

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd consider a VPN, since I suspect you want your data to be secure.

3. Jason08

Jason08

A tip on connecting 2 routers, you would end up having what's called double NAT, which means if you were opening ports for something it would be rather complex rather than a single NAT.

4. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

Jason08 Yonass isn't asking about serial teaming the routers. Routers have the internet between them.

Yonass you need routers at each end that support site to site vpn. Just checking on the netgear - doesn't support vpn site to site or vpn as client.

This means you would need to bring up vpn servers at each site and connect them thru the routers.

I would replace both routers with site to site vpn capable routers. I use sonicwalls.

5. avisitor

avisitor

6. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor

I wouldn't use the FVS114. My company used that miserable router before I got there. They had purchased a Cisco PIX515E and didn't know how to configure it until I got there to put it in service.

I would look into getting either a FVS318 or a FVS338. The FVS318 has been a proven and very reliable VPN router. It's been out forever. I own the original version 1 iteration of the FVS318 which I bought about 4 or so years ago. It was still working till I finally decommissioned it with the FVS338 I use now. The FVS318 is currently on version 3 with some improvements over the version 1. The FVS338 is also very reliable and has the added advantage of a faster processor and more memory. This translates to faster VPN tunnel performance.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/771544