1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connect using bluetooth mobile phone

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Surreal2, Jun 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Surreal2

Surreal2 Thread Starter

I have a Centrino laptop running Win XP Pro and a mobile phone (Sony Ericsson T39m...yeah, I know it's a bit old now but it's small and it works), both with IR and bluetooth capability.

Firstly, could someone run through how to set up a bluetooth connection so I can synch my Outlook 2000 contacts with the phone. I have done this once before but can't remember how I did it (which is very frustrating) and I had to completely re-install the OS so any settings I'd originally slaved over have disappeared.

Secondly, on many occasions when I need to connect to the internet there's no wifi access, so it would be useful to connect via the mobile phone. How do I set up the IR and bluetooth connections to allow this - using both dial-up modem access and GPS/GPRS access.

I've followed various instructions (that's a slightly generous description) in the phone and laptop manuals but can't seem to get it to work.

Many thanks.

2. Surreal2

Surreal2 Thread Starter

I hate to bump so soon but I'm travelling in the next day or two and it would be a real benefit if I could connect via the mobile phone...so if anyone can help...

Many thanks.

3. Surreal2

Surreal2 Thread Starter

:) bump......one more try then I'll let the question die in peace :)

4. little den

little den

When you did it last, did you use software to do it? I have a Belkien wireless adapter that does the same thing...

5. Surreal2

Surreal2 Thread Starter

Hi Little Den - if by 'it' you mean transferring Outlook contact info to the mobile phone, I didn't use any particular software. I have a CD that came with the phone to do this, which is a comprehensive synching prog but insists on loading as a tsr and caused probs on my PC. I haven't installed that on the laptop. On the laptop I think I used an existing synch button...I can't remember if it was the button in Outlook or an XP tool. It allowed me to transfer info to the phone so wasn't really synching but copying...I had to delete all entries from the phone first otherwise I'd get duplicates.

As far as accessing the internet from my laptop through a bluetooth or IR connection to the mobile phone, I've never been able to do this.

6. little den

little den

I've always had trouble with conecting to the internet like that too. Does your laptop have SP2? If so, you may have to reinstall your Bluetooth drivers. Microsoft have a workaround for you to look at.
    So, try reinstalling your Bluetooth drivers (you may have to go to the Bluetooth site for the correct ones) and see if that works.

7. Surreal2

Surreal2 Thread Starter

Ahhh....yes, I did install SP2 between the times I was and was not able to do the transfers. I hadn't thought of that. Many thanks for the suggestion...I'll check the site and the possibility of finding and reinstalling the bluetooth drivers. Thanks again.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/373086

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice