1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connect via usb

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bigboy1970, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bigboy1970

Bigboy1970 Thread Starter

Hello CRJDRIVER,
    I have the same problem that John T experienced. After reviewing a few options, I have decided to pull the hard drive and retrieve the files before attempting to repair the problem. I've opened the tower case, pulled out the hard drive, and purchased a SATA to USB cable adapter to connect the hard drive to another computer. Can you suggest a link or advise on what to do next? Will I experience any software or security issues when I try to connect the drive? I could use a primer on the basics of this approach as I have never opened a tower before. Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I put this in your own thread. When you have a problem, please start your own thread. This is because with one issue per thread it can be difficult to follow what has/has not been done; with multiple issues per thread it becomes impossible.

Some of these adapters use an external pw connector so there would be no need to open the case of the system you are using for connecting the drive. If your adapter uses a molex or sata pw connector, then yes you need to open the case of the working system. If you do, open it up and take a good look at how things are connected. For a first timer, I recommend taking a few digital pics with a camera for reference. Next find an unused connector if possible or use a splitter to make the pw connection. Connect the drive to the adapter; again there are different ones. Some use a cable lead, others the adapter plugs right into the drive. Rest the drive on a non-conductive surface ie book, cardboard box, etc. Pw ON the system. The os will assign the next available drive letter to the new drive. Copy whatever you want. When done, disconnect the drive using the safely remove hardware icon and disconnect. Done.

3. Bigboy1970

CRJDRIVER,
    Thank you for the suggestion and the quick response. I proceeded to connect the hard drive and power up the system. Just like you said, the working computer recognized the hard drive and assigned a drive letter. This enabled me to explore the contents of the drive. I'm looking to copy two things, my documents such as pictures and word files and my outlook emails and contacts. When I tried to open my documents, I received an error message saying access denied. I had a password on my old system that I entered when Windows first started which gave me access to my user account. I think this may be preventing access to the folder with my name on it. I have access to the guest folder. How do I get access to my folder to obtain the files? I can right click on the folder to open properties, but I'm not sure how to grant permissions/access. Any suggestions?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

5. Bigboy1970

CRJDRIVER,
    Thanks for the advice. I was able to take ownership of the drive and access my files. I think I downloaded everything I might want to keep. Now that I've been able to sleep for a few days, I'm wondering if I might try to put the hard drive back in the old computer and try to restore the system or re-format the disk and reload the software. I was considering purchasing a new drive and start from there. I think Dell provided me all of the disks necessary to reload the OS and windows software. Any thoughts on how to proceed?

Thanks!

6. Hughv

Hughv

Another problem with hijacking threads is that we have no idea what the original problem was ("I have the same problem").

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975410

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice