1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connect WIN server 2012 to domain

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by Nashton1978, Mar 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nashton1978

Nashton1978 Thread Starter

I have installed WIN Server 2012 on my laptop using a new volume and dualBoot.
    I would like to set it up on our domain but I'm not very technical. I have run NSLookup but I don't really know what I'm looking for. I haven't yet setup the DNS on the server.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you make be able to offer.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    There's nothing you should need from NSLOOKUP to join a computer or server to an existing domain and network. If you have a functional domain that has DHCP configured already then all you need to do is go to "Control Panel", "System", and on the "General" tab click "Change" and in the "Member of" select "Domain" and type your domain credentials to join the domain. I would recommend you give the server a meaningful name and probably be a good idea to set a static IP address, Gateway, and DNS servers on this server which I'm guessing is a test server? You do have the domain administrator password and permission to join a server to this domain?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1206237

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice