1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connect Window at Startup

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by 4dsmom, Jan 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 4dsmom

4dsmom Thread Starter

For the last week or so when Windows Me loads the Connect window for the internet comes up. I have removed a lot of themes I downloaded since then and even did a system restore back to a date when I know it was not loading like this. This did not resolve the problem. I don't have any programs that I know of that would need to connect to the internet to work. The only program in my startup folder is Call Wave and I have had it previous to this problem. I cannot think of any reason this is happening. It is annoying to me. Any suggestions how to prevent this? :(

2. 4dsmom

4dsmom Thread Starter

I did a selective restart and found when Zone Alarm loads the Connect window pops up too. In reading Zone Labs support for the free version I found this.

Why is ZoneAlarm causing my computer to dial out?

ZoneAlarm is performing a DNS lookup. Normally, ZoneAlarm waits until a user has established an Internet connection before performing the DNS lookup. However, an issue with the most recent ZoneAlarm Pro/Plus and ZoneAlarm releases is that they don't wait for an Internet connection before performing the DNS lookup. On some computers with auto-dialers set up, this look-up may cause the auto-dialer to be invoked. We will correct this in the next release of the products.

So I guess I will have to put up with it until a newer version is released to correct it.

Thanks

3. John Sparkman

John Sparkman

4. 4dsmom

4dsmom Thread Starter

Thanks John
    I can see I didn't look back far enough in the forum or I would have found my answer. Shame on me. I did go to http:www.oldversion.com and download the older version. I am going to remove the 3.1.395 version and install the 2.6.882 version , just to eliminate that pesky window from popping up.
    Why do they have to make things difficult??? :D

5. John Sparkman

John Sparkman

I guess even software writers have a bad day now and then.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113471

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice