1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connect Windows PC to Airport Extreme via Ethernet cable

Discussion in 'Networking' started by hbguy, Mar 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hbguy

hbguy Thread Starter

I have two Apple laptops running well on an Airport Extreme wireless network. I am trying to connect a Dell Windows XP Service Pack 3 to the Airport via a USB to Ethernet LAN cable directly to the Airport for internet access. The Times Warner cable guy hooked it up and it accessed the internet just fine. I have since reformatted and reloaded Windows. I have not changed any of the cable connections. I have tried the Windows Network Wizard and the Airport Utility (which cannot detect the Airport). Windows says I have a "LAN or High-Speed Internet 1394 Connection" connected. However, Windows cannot find any internet access. The cable guy had it hooked up and on the internet in just a couple of minutes. Before I reformatted I noticed another connected network, not the 1394. Please help me get the Dell on the Airport via USB to Ethernet LAN cable for internet access. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Install the chipset drivers from your Drivers/Resource CD or, better, from Dell's web site. Use your Service Tag for easier searching. Then check in Device Manager to see if there are still more missing drivers.

EDIT: You probably need the driver for the USB ethernet adapter also.

3. hbguy

hbguy Thread Starter

Terrynet,
    From the Dell cd I updated the drivers for the Intell 800 chip set and the nVidia video card. As for the network (NIC) drivers, I tried to update to the Intell10/100 LOM driver from the cd. Windows said it was not a better driver. Still no joy recognizing the Airport Base station. As for the USB ethernet adapter driver, I could not find anything like that on the cd or in device manager. Where would I look? Thanks again for the help.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you need a driver for the USB ethernet adapter you'd get it from the CD that came with it or from the manufacturer's web site.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/807333

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice