Connect

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

councilman

Im trying to download files from my laptop to my desktop and Im being promnted for a user name and password. The desktop is XP Pro the laptop is 2000 Pro I dont have a password set up to get into my laptop or desktop. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Ted

It is probably prompting you for a password because you are trying to access an admin share.....does it look something like $IPC ? Go to one of the PC's and access windows explorer, right click a folder and select sharing. Use the default share name and give full access with no password. Then try to access the share you just created.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Create a user account on the laptop with the name and password that you use to log into the XP machine. FWIW, some functions, like scheduling, fail with no password, so I'd establish a password on the machines, even though you don't preceive the need for them. You can setup the machines to automatically log into an account, so the password shouldn't be an issue for your normal operation.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts