1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connected laptop wired through a wireless router into an NTL modem!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Jeff1122334455, Feb 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jeff1122334455

Jeff1122334455 Thread Starter

Hi all...............

I used to think I was good with PCs.......but I'm struggling with this one!!

My ISP is NTL (Virgin). I was connected via the USB and all was well. I recently purchased the router above. This router uses the ethernet cables, which I believe I've put in correctly, but if I leave in the USB it uses that route & if I remove it.........I get nothing!! I'm having no joy. I want to keep a wired connection for the PC and have the wireless for the games machines etc.

Can anyone help??

Sorry..a little more information. when I tried to re-install the modem using the ethernet cable option, an error came up saying..'put the USB cable in and try again!'

2. TaffRambo

TaffRambo

It depends on your service, is this over cable or BT line

If its over cable, the router needs to be set so that it mimics the mac address of your old modem, as that i believe is how virgin cable authenticates users. there is probably a piece of software installed on your pc that trys to find the modem, this is why it asks for this when its not plugged in. uninstalling your modem from add/remove software should cure this.

If it is over BT line, you need to make sure you are using pppoa, vc-mux, and have your username as [email protected] where user.name is the first part of your virgin email address.
    The easiest way to set up your non cable router is to connect to net using your usb modem, then go to www.virgin.net/customers/contactus
    They have a fully interactive remote assistance service where they (with your permission) can take over your computer and set up your router. you then should be able to unplug the modem, set connection in internet options to never dial a connection. this will allow you to connect through your router once you connect router to phone line

3. TaffRambo

TaffRambo

you must be on ntl cable, as this router has an Ethernet port for wan. and no modem
    simple setup
    open dos command on your pc by typing cmd into run box from start button
    type ipconfig to get default gateway
    ping this address
    this will give you the mac address of your modem

plug Ethernet connection from cable line into wan port. plug your pc into any of the other ports
    type ipconfig into dos command window again
    enter the address shown as your default gateway into address bar of web browser window
    (this address is probably 192.168.0.1)
    this will bring up the setup page of your netgear router. it may ask for username and password
    enter the following info
    username: admin
    password: password

follow the setup wizard entering required info (failing this, i'm afraid you will have to call virgin tech premium line as i dont have this info to hand as i work for non cable tech support)
    it might be on the virgin media support pages www.virginmedia.com but finding it may be a little tricky

4. Jeff1122334455

TaffRambo,

Thanks for that...........still not quite there, but at least if I can configure through my laptop I maybe able to set up the Router!

I've plugged my laptop in one of the ports and the laptop reports Connected & 100MBPS. When I type in the address, it states cannot display!

Cheers

5. Jeff1122334455

I've just bought a wireless router (Netgear 824v1) to use with my NTL modem. I've connected my PC through the ethernet cable, but it was originally connected through the USB. If I disconnect the USB cable, the PC will not connect to the internet!

I then connected my laptop via the ethernet cable and the LAN states 100MBPS and connected! but STILL no internet?

Please tell me it's something simple!

Cheers

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Power cycle the modem when you change from the USB to Ethernet, that's a MANDATORY step.

7. Jeff1122334455

I've just turned off the modem, removed the USB & switched back on...........waited and switched on the router...still no joy! Is that what you mean by power cycle?

Cheers

8. Jeff1122334455

Surely I'm not the first with this problem........but it sure has stumped me!

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Jeff, I've merged two of your threads together into this new one, I've also closed another thread from another user to which you had posted. Please stick to one thread to avoid confusion and to make things easier for our contributers to help you.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/688310

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice