1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connected (probably) but unable to browse

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by jasnick, May 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jasnick

jasnick Thread Starter

This has been an ongoing problem since a computer upgrade last October. It is intermittent, which makes this difficult to diagnose.

When I connect, (dial-up modem)I appear to connect , when I click on the icon in the systray, the status says I am connected - but no web pages come up. I get the usual Page Cannot Be Displayed message. I disconnect and immediately re-connect - and everything is fine - I can browse. This might happen several times a week but not everytime I connect.

A couple of weeks ago it reached the stage that I could not browse at all. As I needed the computer for some urgent work I decided to take it to my tech place as being the quickest way to get back online and as I could not connect I could no longer access this site. What a joke. It was 10 days before I got the computer back. First they said perhaps I had spyware. I said no, I run several programs to ensure I do not. Then it was the modem, then they said not the modem, then they said they would have to re-format. If I had known that was what it was going to end up as, I could have done it myself.

When I finally got to pick it up, they said I did need a new modem after all.I wonder.

They still haven't a clue what the problem was. Now, after using the computer for 3 days , it is starting again. This morning I could not browse until I had disconnected and re-connected. Then in the middle of a session, it stopped finding pages, then a few minutes later, everything was fine again.

I have downloaded an alternative browser, so if (when) it happens again, I can see if the problem lies with IE.

Before I took it in, I had already re-installed Dial-up Networking and TCP/IP files but this didn't help.Í also downloaded MS Q241344 Error Message: The Page Cannot be Displayed and worked through all the suggestions there.

I am also runing Trend Micro Internet Securtiy 2004 for antivirus and Firewall.

Has anyone come across a problem like this before and have any ideas as to what is happening?

Thanks

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!