1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connected to access point, internet cannot be found

Discussion in 'Networking' started by lilshan485, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lilshan485

lilshan485 Thread Starter

I have a problem with my computer connecting to the internet. The message I am receiving says "YOU ARE CONNECTED TO THE ACCESS POINT, BUT THE INTERNET CANNOT BE FOUND". I also receive an error message stating "THERE IS AN IP CONFLICT WITH ANOTHER COMPUTER ON THE NETWORK". I cannot connect through my wirless card or ethernet cable.

I have taken my computer to be repaired. They are telling me "my hard drive is going bad". I honestly believe he just doesn't know how to fix it. He says he ran a software telling him my hard drive is going bad.

I have found other users have had the same problem and it has NOTHING to do with the hard drive about to crash.

I have called Linksys 5 times, my internet provider, etc. I have tried ipconfig .... etc. I have bought 2 new wireless cards, reinstalled drivers.

Any help would be much appreciated!

2. rastajonny

rastajonny

Could you please provide the IP Address or the model of you router.

Seams like the problem is just an IP conflict on your network, so to fix the issue you would need to change the IP address of you network card.

3. rastajonny

rastajonny

Do follows:

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you ever go back there, ask him for a copy of that software. If you run a disk check and find a lot of errors that would be an indication that the hard drive is probably going bad, but otherwise I tend to agree with your assessment of him.

Try to connect by ethernet and wireless and show the ipconfig /all rastajonny requested, and we'll see if we can help.

5. lilshan485

I picked up my computer from the guy... $150 later and STILL NO INTERNET.

When I turn on the computer now it says check disk... missing FAT32. It never said that before I took it to this guy.

I couldn't copy the information because I am on my desktop and not my laptop. The laptop is unable to find internet.

I don't know how to find the ip address... My desktop computer's ip address, for the same computer is 192. 168.0.2

Host name..... shanna-x6r6nx4p
    Primary DNS suffix ........ : (blank)
    Node type .............. : Broadcast
    IP Routing Enabled ...... : NO
    WINS Proxy Enabled..... : NO

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:
    Media State ................... : Disconnected
    Description .................. : SIS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
    Physical Address ........... : 00-C0-9F-A7-AE-25

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 7: Media disconnected
    Description .................................... Wireless G-Notebook Adapter WPC54G

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Well, it has to "find" a network connection first.

When you connect an ethernet cable does the LED light? Are you using a known good cable and router LAN port?

With the wireless do you detect any networks? Yours? If so, what happens when you try to connect to it?

7. lilshan485

Yes, it finds my network. It also finds another network. However, it is secured so I cannot connect to it. I also went to the library to use their wi-fi and I was unable to connect to it as well.

I am also unable to connect through the ethernet cable. Yes, the cable, and router are good.

I am able to connect to my desktop just fine. It is also using wireless.

When I try to connect through wireless and ethernet... it says acquring network address yet never gets past that point.

Thanks!

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    (From a JohnWill post)

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2 or SP3.

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753535

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice