1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connected to internet, but unable to browse!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Leeus111, Aug 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Leeus111

Leeus111 Thread Starter

I am using a Dell Latitude E6400 Laptop and have been wirelessly connected to our home internet for several years without any problems. However, of late I have been having problems browsing despite my connection being OK and signal being very good. I am able to still listen to music on spotify, as well as chat on facebook, but cannot load web pages or search for anything on youtube/google etc. I use google chrome but experience the same problem on IE.

I have checked whether it is a problem with malware and have removed all threats, but still the problem persists. the only way I have found of temporarily fixing it is disabling the wireless and reconnecting, whereby it will work perfectly again for anything between 5-50 minutes.

I have not changed my router recently so do not think that is the issue. I'm beginning it may just be a hardware fault with the laptop!

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Leeus111

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Same problem or work OK with an ethernet connection?

What OS?

What firewall or security suite is, or ever was, on the system?

3. Leeus111

Leeus111 Thread Starter

yes same problem. Using windows XP and as far as I'm aware just using windows firewall, although McAfee is on here as well. I'm afraid I'm not the most computer savvy so am not actually sure what that is on here for as my dad set up the laptop a few years ago.

The internet also occasionally disconnects for a brief period, which I can often prevent happening simply my opening a torrent programme. Slightly strange!

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You have service pack 3, right?

See the sticky thread at the top of this (Networking) forum to see how to clean up McAfee.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2 or SP3.

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1067136

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice