1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connected to Internet, unable to browse. Receiving barely any packets and more..

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Stacyface, Apr 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stacyface

Stacyface Thread Starter

Ok, so I've been trying for most of the day to fix these issues to no avail, and I've done something that's apparently made it worse. I'll do my best to include everything that might help.

Basically, my internet claims to be connected (via wire to router, computer isn't wireless enabled.) but when I open a browser (I normally use Chrome but no browser is working) it came up with the Error 105 no matter what address I try to access.

So far, I have tried resetting my router and waiting, using cmd to reset winsock and resetlog, I've fiddled with some of the proxy settings and immediate downloads. Of course, I'm not entirely certain what half of those things have done, but nothing seems to have worked properly. I've uninstalled all of the firewall/anti-virus programs I had installed, which hasn't changed anything either.

I have had the 'connected but not connected' issue before since it happens quite often, but usually I disable it, restart the computer and just connect again, then it'll work - but this time it hasn't.

I noticed in a lot of threads it helps to have the information given from ipconfig/all, so I've copied out what I get from that below.

* I've just noticed that the host name has changed to STACYSC, when it's not supposed to be. I think this is from me attempting to connect to a wireless connection before I realised it wasn't enabled - could this be an issue?

Operating system is Windows XP.

If there's anything else I can give to help out just say so and I'll do my best to find it. I really appreciate any help or suggestions, so thank you in advance! :)

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    how many did you have and what were they ?

can you do the following three ping tests

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ping Tests
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here
    Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and paste here.

Start> Run {search bar in Vista/W7}> CMD to open a DOS window and type:

Type the following command
    Ping 192.168.2.1
    Post back the results
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    control key + C key - to copy
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

Ping google.com
    Post back the results
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

Ping 209.183.226.152
    post back results
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Staceyface > bypass your router and go direct to the modem and see if you get the same results. Best practice here is to shut down both computer and modem first, connect the computer then start the modem, wait for that to come online, then start your computer. Since you stated you have change some settings we will make sure we get you in the right place.

As to STACEYSC, as long as there are no other computers/devices with this name you should be fine.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1047616

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice