1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

connected to LAN but no internet access

Discussion in 'Networking' started by HeadsUp, Apr 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HeadsUp

HeadsUp Thread Starter

Hi

I just reformatted a PC with windows XP

I went through the new network connections links so i can download updates but i cant get browser access to the internet.

other PC's in the room have perfect ADSL web access and can log in to the same router.

I am showing a 400 Mb/s connection through the 1394 net adaptor but cant ping or log in to the router and no internet either.

If i run IPCONFIG or IPCONFIG/ALL from a DOS screen it responds with ;

"Windows IP configuration"

C:\documents and settings\Name>

If i click on Network connections > click on LAN icon > click repair this connection......

it then says " windows cannot finish repairing the problem because .......failed to query TCP/IP settings of the connection . cannot proceed"
    any suggestions ?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Assuming it's a factory-brand one and not a self-built one, what's the brand name and model name and model number of your computer?

Did you do a clean install of Windows XP with Service Pack 3 included?

----------------------------------------------------------------

Go into the Device Manager and then expand the Network Adapters heading.

What's the exact description of the device(s) listed there?

Is there an Other Devices and/or Unknown Devices heading present?

If there is, advise the exact description of the device(s) listed there.

HeadsUp likes this.
  3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What is the current service pack level?

Have you installed the latest chipset and network drivers yet?

HeadsUp likes this.
  4. HeadsUp

HeadsUp Thread Starter

windows XP SP 2

HP a6360a box which is an ECS MCP61PM-HM mobo.

other devices are showing as not having drivers installed , the drivers on the windows CD wont install , this PC says " not correct type or cant be found"

I hoped to get online and download updates for the drivers that way but catch 22 is the lack of internet access to do it despite the network adaptor showing as active .

[​IMG] [/URL][/IMG]

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Using a computer with internet access download SP3 and the latest chipset and network drivers (from the PC or motherboard manufacturer's web site), copy them to your PC and install them. I no longer find SP3 on Microsoft's web site, but apparently it can be found from here.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You have a HP Pavilion a6360a Desktop PC(GX725AA).

It was introduced in December 2007 in Australia and New Zealand and came with the original version of Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit.

Its motherboard has these primary devices:
    NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE/NVIDIA nForce 430 graphics/chipset
    Realtek ALC888S high definition audio
    Realtek RTL8201N 10/100 Mbps ethernet

Its driver downloads section provides drivers only for Windows Vista and not for Windows XP.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Why did you install Windows XP Home Edition SP2 in it?
    Besides it being an extremely outdated operating system, certain programs and drivers won't install without SP3 being installed first.

You Device Manager window shows that drivers need to be installed for the graphics/chipset device and the ethernet device.

There are probably Windows XP drivers for all of the primary devices, but you need to know where to obtain them and how to install them.

HeadsUp likes this.
  7. HeadsUp

HeadsUp Thread Starter

thankyou

i need to run some old accounting software for a few hours but it only runs on XP.

I dont have a Vista support CD because HP dont supply them so i cant even reformat with Vista to recover the corrupted OS drive on this machine.

realtek ethernet would be the problem , i didnt diferentiate between that and the 1394 adaptor.

as you say , the drivers might be available but i made a few attempts at downloading different drivers from HP website and others but none of them worked . :(

i wasted a few days on this already , just going to try borrowing an XP machine instead to recover some files and then i can bin the machine.

appreciate your help ':

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    This Windows XP 32-bit driver pack would work for you for getting the SM Bus and ethernet drivers installed, but you would need to know how to extract its contents and then install the drivers via the "back door" method in the Device Manager.
    http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/9701/en-us

Anyway, good luck on the borrowed computer.

HeadsUp likes this.
  9. HeadsUp

HeadsUp Thread Starter

Thank you Frank

I will save that file and also found this page with .exe files now that I searched under the Realtek Rtl8210 numbers you mentioned . Thanks for sharing your time and talents

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/XP-Drivers/td-p/352361

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    The Realtek RTL8201N chip is part of the NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller ethernet device in that computer.
    That's why I linked you to the NVIDIA driver downloads site.

I bought a HP Pavilion desktop in early 2008 that came with Windows Vista 32-bit and which I later downgraded to Windows XP 32-bit.
    It had the same ethernet device and required obtaining and installing its driver in the "back door" manner.

HeadsUp likes this.
  11. HeadsUp

HeadsUp Thread Starter

thankyou .

so you had to install the NVIDIA driver directly into the folder in windows > sys or sys32 or copy > paste the whole installed file into a folder you found to suit ?

i have a Win XP machine on its way on loan so i dont want to waste your time too much , but mentioning this in case its useful to other readers.

12. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You have to use the "Update Driver" function to browse to and then install the drivers from inside the SMBus and Ethernet folders in the package.
    If you've never installed a driver that way, I would need to be there to show you how to do it.
    I can't walk you through it from here.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1170043

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice