1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connected to network but no internet access with Ethernet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jdixo105, Jan 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jdixo105

jdixo105 Thread Starter

I am connected to the network with a Ethernet cable but with out Internet access and I had to put my IP address in manually and without the Ethernet cable the wifi network wouldn't show at all,
    please help.

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    James
    Welcome!

unfortunately I couldn't understand what you were asking so bare with me:

You are not able to connect to WiFi? I assume this machine is a laptop?

You are/were currently connected via an Ethernet connection, but in order to get internet, you will need a Static IP (manual IP), correct?

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    There are multiple networks. Please describe the one to which you are connected.

Is this relevant to your question or problem?

Why? Or will that be obvious after you describe the network?

What does one have to do with the other???

4. jdixo105

jdixo105 Thread Starter

Yes you are partly correct so basically my desktop is struggling to connect to Internet network and was coming up as unidentified so I troubleshooted it and it was coming up with IP address problem so I manually put my IP address in and then it started to work but it was only saying I was connected to the network and I didn’t have any Internet access and now I’m stuck as I’ve tried some coding and some other things like restarting the router and the computer and nothing has worked. Also letting you know that the Wi-Fi works for every other device in the house including my laptop just desktop it’s not working for. I also do you have a Ethernet cable plugged in as the wireless Wi-Fi do not doesn’t work and my wifi connection will not show up on my desktop.

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    James
    Unidentified Network could be caused by a firewall (as well as your wireless connection). Do you have any internet security programs?

When you manually added the IP, did you make sure you had the default gateway and DNS settings set also?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1239515

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice