1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connected to network, but not internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by tlaput, Apr 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tlaput

tlaput Thread Starter

I am in a dorm in NYC with multiple floors. All of the internet access is wireless. On the resident floors, 6-10, I can connect to the network, but not the internet. On any other floor there is no problem. The operating system is Vista.

The IT department hands out IPs, not putting computers in a work group.

I can walk to a floor with internet, connect, and walk the computer back up to the resident floors where the internet will work for a few minutes, then revert to simply the network, no internet.

I do not know and extensive amount regarding networking.

If the problem is a router near my floor, can I choose to connect to another? Other are apparently in range, which is why I can "walk" the internet up, but the computer prefers the one that is closer and may or may not work.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated,
    Thank you

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

What did the IT department say when you reported the problem? You're not going to be able to do any troubleshooting with no access to the configuration of the equipment.

3. valis

valis Moderator

almost sounds as if you are out of reach of the router that provides access to the proxy server..........

4. tlaput

tlaput Thread Starter

IT said that it might be a bad switch or really bad router.

With regards to the range, I am able walk to a floor with internet, walk back up to my room where it will work for a while. Then, as if the computer is switching routers, it stops.

Thanks for the replies.

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

So what are they going to do about it? There's nothing you or we can do about bad network equipment that another person / group owns and manages. If you can't get an Internet connection in your room but you're supposed to per the terms of the dorm rental agreement, then they have to fix the problem.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Not disagreeing with DoubleHelix but we may be able to help you gather some data. You can use the Networks page of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector to see the various signals (channel and strength) where you do get internet access and where you don't.

Also see, or show here if you like, if the following is significantly different at the "good" and "bad" locations.

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

Other people have no such problems?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916003

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice