1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connected to the Domain but no internet yet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by junglejeff, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. junglejeff

junglejeff Thread Starter

I have a network with an NT 4 domain and mixed clients from 98SE-XP pro. I have a new computer running XP pro & added it to the domain and all resources are available except for the internet. I noticed some clients are using DHCP while others have static IP's, but regardless they all have internet access. I'm wondering why I don't have internet access on this new computer & I've tried using both static & dhcp entered the same gateway & DNS as the others to no avail. Do I need a host file or is there something else I need to connect to? Any help where to look would be appreciated. TIA

2. ramony

ramony It's My Birthday!

hi,

did you check on the internet browser settings? i assume you are using a proxy server for the clients in the domain to connect to the internet. if my assumption is correct, then you must specify in your internet browser settings the IP address or hostname of your proxy server.

hope this solves your problem. :)

3. junglejeff

Thanks, I'll give that a try on tuesday. Yes, it does use a proxy I believe, but I didn't setup the network and the guy who did wont return his calls nor did he document anything. I thought I'd figure it out on my next visit, but it's nice to have a few extra bullets in the cartridge, so I'm prepared to finish the job. Thanks again.

4. ramony

ramony It's My Birthday!

hi,

you can also check the internet browser settings of the client PCs that are able to connect to the internet and duplicate it on the one that's having a problem....

hope this solves your problem. :)

5. junglejeff

then you must specify in your internet browser settings the IP address or hostname of your proxy server.

Your answer was correct ramony & I feel dumb as I've been doing this along time first time it didn't autoconnect for a few years though. Don't have too many using proxy with NT 4 anymore I guess. Just had to enter 192.168.0.1. in the proxy box and problem solved. Thanks for answering.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269470

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice